SEED 522 Multi-Genre Blog Post 5


For author's reading of the piece, click the link below:

 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ozgU98nfAgcOLNCho76IMYqsetDWQVJ6/view?usp=sharing


Mother: My kid needs help, he does not like school, tell me, tell me, what can you do? 

 

Teacher: We can provide lots of guidance for you. 

 

Mother: Thanks so much. What can we do? Do you need me to help too? 

 

Teacher: Yes, we do, all together. we can help your kid do better. 

 

Mother: Growing up, English was the only language they would let us use. Even when we couldn’t understand. It seemed like abuse.

I just don’t know what that was all about. I felt really, really, really left out.  

In my school, we Latinos were ignored. So much so that I was truly bored. 

I hated school, I had no faith, it truly was a big time waste. 

 

Teacher: We are a community, have no fear. We hold every student dear.  

From community gatherings selling empanadas, relay races, toys and pinatas. 

 

Mother: What is it that you call this idea, where you help the kids from far and near? 

 

Teacher: Family engagement, and that’s what it’s for. The term inclusion is not used so much anymore.  

We open the school, and work towards unity. We work together to form a community. 

We distribute food, try to stave off hunger, we are there when parents start to wonder,  

when they will next see a full cabinet of food, it’s what we do, it’s for the greater good.  

 

Mother: Why do you engage us to do all those things?

 

Teacher: It’s for the good of all students, to provide a consistent message along with the family. It really works, it is not an anomaly.

We will send you notes about your kid’s achievements and gain, I promise you this effort will not wane.

We send a weekly newsletter about upcoming events, we will ask for parent and community input, and consider their two cents.

 I suggest you join a parent group or two, there are advocacy teams that are here for you.

 They will help you see all the ways your kid can achieve in school, keep busy, play music, join swim team at the pool.

 Every child has the right to learn, go to college, through these programs they will obtain the proper knowledge.

 

Mother: I do not have lots of free time, I am a single mother. I work during the day and take care of his little brother.

 

Teacher: I understand all the constraints, we account for this, we have clubs in the evenings, weekend, other times so you don’t have to miss.

There are many others in the same boat, there are clubs and committees on which you can vote.

If you have your kids with you, but you come out on a whim, someone will watch them on the playground or gym.

 

Mother: There really is a lot you do, I feel more engaged with the school and all of you.

Thank you, thank you very much, I will look through the events, and I will be in touch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog