SEED 522 Blog Post 13

 

The Washington Post

Metro Section

April 25, 2021 Two teachers were let go from McLean High School earlier this week for serious policy violations. After a two-month investigation, during which time the teachers were suspended with pay, it was determined that Jane Blake and Joseph Collins would be fired from the Fairfax County school district. Their status of their teaching licenses is in question as the State Licensing board has taken up the issue of whether they should be revoked. So far, no criminal charges have been filed.  

 

According to school sources, Mr. Collins has been receiving payment for augmenting student grades over the past couple of years. Up to 10 students whose grades have been raise in exchange for money have been identified. The school is now under pressure to determine a course of action to reset their grades to what they should have been without intervention. But apparently this is no easy task, as some of the assignments the grades were based on are no longer available. The school does not want to jeopardize student’s futures without a full understanding of how their grades were influenced. It is also understood that at least a couple of the students did not even know about the scam, as the agreements were made directly between Mr. Collins and the student’s parents.  

 

According to a Fairfax County school district spokesperson, the Case against Mr. Collins is straight-forward. Multiple witnesses have corroborated the pay-for-grades scheme, and significant evidence has been recovered, including e-mails and text messages between Mr. Collins, and involved students and parents. The school district is working with the Fairfax County DA to provide evidence towards potential criminal charges. 

 

The case and involvement of Ms. Blake is less clear cut. According to a source within the school, Ms. Blake was made aware of the scheme after it had been going on for some time. When the case was first discovered and Ms. Blake was suspended, she spoke with a reporter, unaware of the seriousness of the situation. According to Ms. Blake, “I was not part of any scheme, and never took any money. When I heard about the situation, I just wanted to help a fellow teacher, someone I have known for a long time. I encouraged my friend to return any money and make things right. I knew my friend was going through a divorce and needed money to keep the house. These kids are all so well off. Their parents were not going to miss a penny of it. I know that is not an excuse, but all I did was provide guidance, and trusted that my friend would do the right thing. That’s all I believe I had to do.” 

 

According to policy experts, based on the evidence, Ms. Blake is in violation of many school policies, regardless of intent. Most importantly, her priority is to the safety and well-being of the students. That includes the right to receive a fairly administered education. According to one expert, “per Fairfax County Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy, students can expect …fairness and respect from school staff members. Regardless of intent or outcome, Ms. Blake is enabling an uneven playing field for the students who are not part of the scheme. Grading is often relative, and students compete with each other, whether in high school programs, or for college admissions. One student’s advantage is often to another student’s detriment”. 

 

Additionally, “teachers are obligated to report infractions and breaches of trust by other teachers. It is not for them to decide what is reportable. The rules are very clear. If you are not going to contribute towards a just outcome, you are part of the problem. Teachers act as ‘loco parentis’ to the students, in other words, they are entrusted to protect the students as their parents would while school is in session. Her actions are a breach of that trust”.

 

Ms. Blake, in learning of the outcome, again spoke over the phone. She said, “I sincerely apologize to anyone whom I have hurt, the students, the teachers and the school. I know I have let down my colleagues, whose job is already difficult enough. I know I have breached the faith of the parents and students, for who I am entrusted. I got too comfortable with the system and was unable to see the problem for what it was.”

 

It appears Ms. Blake will not be further investigated at any level, but she will not be welcomed back to Fairfax County. Said Ms. Blake, “I will miss my colleagues and the school. Though I understand I will not be returning there, I do hope to return to teacher elsewhere. It really is my calling.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog