SEED522 Blog Post 14

 

This is the second meeting of our favorite multi-generation teaching duo, Jim and Micah, from Blog Post #2. In case you forgot, this is the setup:

Scene:

Two teachers from different eras meet up in a coffee shop. The elder one, Jim, taught in the 1980’s and 1990’s and is currently retired. He is friends with the father of Micah, a current teacher. Jim taught at the secondary school level, from 7-12th grade. Micah does the same.

 

Jim: Good seeing you again. How is the teaching going?

Micah: Well, unfortunately, I have been put on leave while they investigate an incident.

Jim: Jeez, what happened?

Micah: Well, one of my students is a bit passive-aggressive. Often, he is ok, but sometimes he can be a real jerk, bullying some of the kids in class. He will get right in their faces and talk about kicking their butts.

Jim: So, what were you doing about it?

Micah: I was following the teacher policy guidance for Fairfax County, on minimizing physical handling or isolation of students.

Jim: what is that?

Micah: It is the teacher policy to minimize physical contact in a situation where a student might be getting aggressive. With this behavior happening over a period of time, I followed the Fairfax county guidelines for restraint and seclusion; I moved the student to different areas of the classroom to lesson disruption and conflict; I provided verbal support and encouragement; I even tried to have him switch classrooms to one where he had more friends and was away from the three kids he picked on the most.

Jim: And how did that work out?

Micah: The parents were not very cooperative. They would just say he was fine where he was, and he would adapt. I don’t know if he exhibited different behavior at home, or they just were too busy to care. I have a feeling his parents were not very attentive to his needs. It seemed like they just didn’t want to deal with anything that would take up their time.

Jim: What else did you do to try to help him?

Micah: Well, honestly, I thought he was really in need of special services. I recommended him for testing and evaluation. There is specifically a Fairfax policy on protections for students not currently eligible for special education. Ironically, my going to bat for him would protect him more in case of an incident. Yet, it was overridden by his own parents turning down the opportunity to work him into specialized plan. That voids the de-facto protections he might receive in this case.

Jim: Sounds complicated. So, is he at fault for whatever happened? Why are you in trouble?

Micah: Well, let me finish. There is still the restraint policy. The other day, he was really in this kid’s face, kind of out of the blue. I was busy with something else. If I see this behavior coming on, I usually like to make sure another adult is nearby- as much to have additionally help as having another pair of trusted eyes on the situation.

But I didn’t this time. I turn around and he kind of has this kid in a headlock, so I run over and break it up, but I can tell this bully is kind of mad, so I kind of hold him against the wall while another kid gets the teacher next door. It settles down pretty quickly after that.

Jim: So what’s the problem? Sounds like you handled it the best you could.

Micah: Well, I thought so. We had a quick chat with the Vice Principal, with a promise that he would call the parents the next day. Seems that the parents called him first, saying I put my hands on their son for no reason. The were coming to the school and wanted answers.

Jim: Jeez, I could have, and probably would have, put that kid in his own headlock when I was teaching, and nothing would have come from it. If the parents were coming to the school about it, it would probably be to thank me for straightening out their kid.

Micah: Ha. Well, now these do-nothing parents want the school to do something. So, now they are investigating while I am sitting at home awaiting a decision. At least I am being paid. But I don’t know what will happen. I am supposed to go in to school tomorrow to be interviewed about it.

Jim: But what about all the kids that were there? Didn’t they stick up for you?

Micah: They did, but it’s not air-tight, because they know what a piece of work this kid is, and know that none of the other kids like him. I just wish I were able to get another teacher before I broke up the fight.

Jim: You had to do what you did. It will be fine.

Micah: Probably. But still, it’s scary. I love the job. I don’t want to lose it. I know the policies backwards and forwards, and for the most part I think they do a good job protecting the students and teachers. But, when you are dealing with people, especially young people, not to mention their parents, nothing is cut and dry.

Jim: Well good luck. Let me know how it turns out. And best to your father.

Micah: Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog